This session runs for 5 weeks on Tuesdays and Fridays from 1:00 - 4:30pm. This session will be held virtually. Please call for more information or to register.
Chronic Conditions & Allied Health
Windsor Team Care Centre (WTCC) provides health & wellness supports to individuals with a focus on care for chronic conditions as well as preventative care. Chronic conditions include:
- metabolic conditions (diabetes, liver disease, obesity)
- cardiovascular conditions (coronary heart disease, stroke, hypertension)
- pulmonary conditions (asthma, COPD)
- neurological conditions (including vestibular, ocular motor and concussion rehab)
- musculoskeletal problems
- mental health and psychiatric diagnoses (depression, anxiety, ADHD, OCD)
- as well as other conditions related to chronic pain and sensory disorders.
Our interprofessional care team will work with individuals to ensure that care is organized, thorough, and meeting client-centred goals.
Our services include the following:
Our Registered Dietician(s) provide education and counselling to individuals that have chronic and/or complex health issues, nutritional needs and/or a Body Mass Index greater than 30, or malnourishment. They provide care and support with:
- Weight management
- Meal planning
- Digestive issues
Eat4Life Healthy Lifestyle Program
Eat4Life is a program developed to help Windsor-Essex residents learn more about healthy eating, physical activity, and behaviour change. This program is unique, research–based, and consists of three courses: Healthy Living, Weight Management, and Mindful Eating.
Eat4Life courses are offered by many organizations throughout Windsor and Essex County, at different times and locations during the year.
For more information about any Eat4Life course at a location near you, please visit the Shared Community Health Calendar (https://www.wechu.org/events)
Eat4Life Healthy Living E-learning Course
Eat4Life Healthy Living E-learning Course is an online platform that allows you to log on to the course from your computer, laptop, tablet or phone, and at a time and place that works best for you and your schedule.
Within this self-directed e-learning course are five classes and many resources. It is recommended that the course be completed over a 5-week time period (i.e., one class per week), to provide enough time to put the different skill-building lessons into practice. Each class is approximately 1 to 1.5 hours in length
For more information and/or to register for Eat4Life and Eat4Life eLearning visit: https://www.eventbrite.ca/o/eat4life-healthy-lifestyle-program-29313305773
WTCC physiotherapy provides treatment to increase mobility, reduce pain and prevent injury for patients with chronic conditions. Our program is not for acute patients recovering from an injury or recent surgery. We provide services for individuals aged 19-64 who are not covered by an insurance company, have no extended benefits, not on ODSP, OW or WSIB or have an open insurance claim/MVA. Limited to a patient being referred once per year.
They provide care and support with:
- Personalized therapeutic treatment, modalities, and exercise plan.
- Functional activity testing and tolerance testing
- Chronic pain, work & occupations re-training.
- Provided by a registered Physiotherapist.
These services are currently being offered through our partnership with Pinnacle Physiotherapy, registered Physiotherapist(s).
Our registered Kinesiologist provides assessment and clinical exercise therapies combined with education and in-scope treatment to support clients in reaching and maintaining their goals for mobility and movement. Our focus is on self-efficacy so the clients’ progress and wellness can be maintained after they leave the program.
The following clients would benefit from treatment and support from a kinesiologist:
- Chronic Disease Management (Diabetes, Hypertension, COPD, Metabolic Syndrome, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Asthma, CHD, PAD, Parkinson’s Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Hyperlipidemia, Fatigue, Headaches)
- Mental health (Depression, Anxiety, Stress)
- Chronic Pain (Back Pain, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, Fibromyalgia)
- Weight Management (Obesity)
- Neurological Disorders (BPPV, mTBI, TBI, Stroke, Vestibular, Ocular Motor, Epilepsy, Cerebral Palsy)
- All treatments are provided by a registered Kinesiologist
The Team Care Kinesiologist will perform:
- musculoskeletal assessments
- postural evaluation and education
- fitness conditioning for weight loss, cardiovascular training, and muscular development
- diabetes management strategies
- cardiac, cancer and stroke rehabilitation
- education (physiological, anatomical, biomechanical, biochemical, ergonomic, neurological, neuromotor and psychological)
- exercise prescription with a focus on self-efficacy (therapeutic exercise, strength and conditioning exercises, functional strength and conditioning, cardiovascular exercise, balance training and fall prevention exercises)
- manual therapy (active release technique, cupping, proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation, reciprocal inhibition muscle energy techniques, mobilizations)
- gait assessment and retraining
- kinesiology taping.
Through our partnership with Windsor-Essex Community Health Centre, a Registered Practical Nurse provides assessment, treatment, and health teaching to support achieving and sustaining healthy feet. Foot Care is provided according to best practices using standardized assessment and screening tools.
Foot care includes the following:
- Foot care assessments (including diabetic assessments)
- Treatment for current problems and preventative care
- Education to patients on how to properly care for their feet
- For individuals with no private coverage
Our Registered Pharmacist supports clients with review, education and support in taking prescribed medications for their medical conditions, as well as troubleshooting potential issues encountered with pharmacotherapy.
Pharmacy support includes:
- Medication reconciliation for patients with multiple conditions and/or under specialist care
- Identifying and resolving drug-therapy problems, including polypharmacy, non-adherence, and drug-drug and drug-substance interactions
- Resource/education to individuals and providers